World Sport Ministries News May 2012
Your quick fire WSM news - On the run!
We thank the Lord that last year through the ministry we were able to reach almost 5,000 different people through over 1,500 acts of ministry and train 80 leaders in sports ministry.
However, this year has started with a 'bang,' with Intensive prayer enabling the development and training of existing and new people who are planning and staging anointed projects where the gospel of Jesus is being proclaimed.
With the Olympics and Paralympics 'coming to town' this year, there has never been a bigger or better time to be serving in and through sport
- Excitingly, WSM has had the opportunity to serve within the More Than Gold movement of inspiring churches and other ministries to 'Get Set' for the Games by helping design and deliver days of training on Sports Mission.
Approximately 200 people in 17 regions of the UK have gone through the training and are ready to reach their communities for Jesus this summer and beyond.
- We have also begun working partnerships with 2 other major ministries in the UK with an eye of building Community Sports Teams that will assist outreach in 2012 and ongoing ministry legacy in 2013.
- The new Plymouth Community Sports Team has begun! Leaders have started to develop relationships with churches and entered into a training and development phase prior to launching their first ministry initiatives in June.
- We are processing an initial 22 other enquiries to begin a Community Sports Team in different parts of the UK and training trainers to be able to prepare called leaders to launch.
So far this year
- 10 adult tournaments (Football & Netball) have occurred in the Bath & Bristol region as well as 2 mens breakfasts in Bath and Wales.
- 3 Teenage football tournaments and 8 Youth Sports Leadership Development sessions have impacted and started to disciple 30 young people.
- 34 coaching sessions in 13 schools each week are reaching over 900 children and 3 Easter 'Get Sported' children's camps impacted 172 children with 37 of them choosing to follow Jesus!
Here's just one story from a group leader at one of the above outreach sports camps:
"Today 5 of my team either committed or re-committed their lives to Jesus. Three of them said that it was time to discover Jesus for themselves and not live off of their parents faith and one boy wasn't ready but was desperate to take a free Sports New Testament away to search and discover. Two other children requested a sports Bible as well!
Please could you PRAY for the following:
- Wisdom for ministry leaders and the appointment of new staff and volunteers centrally.
- Godly connections and partnerships established to begin new Community Sports Teams throughout the UK
- Effective and spirit led training to occur to prepare new and existing leaders.
- For God's saving power to flow through each CST in Bristol, Bath, Newham, Plymouth and Kenya and all of their outreach and discipleship projects lined up in May
- For a huge breakthrough for WSM financially to enable the funding of the above.
Thanks as ever for your prayer, friendship and support.