Global Aware Bulletin June 2011
Welcome to the June Bulletin. There are many events and activities to get involved with this month; please share these with your church and other groups.
1. Libya - with the escalation of NATO attacks there will inevitably be more casualties. Pray for the safety of the Libyan people and for a quick resolution to this conflict which started as a simple call for democracy.
2. Israel and Palestine - following President Obama's unsuccessful talks with Benjamin Netanyahu it is clear that there is a stalemate in negotiations, leaving many Palestinians locked out of their homes and their livelihoods. Please pray for a miraculous change in the views of the Israeli Parliament that the quest for justice and peace can overcome their desire for self-protection.
1. 9th June Tea Time for Change
- TearFund, Christian Aid and Cafod are teaming up with supporters from Oxfam, ActionAid and Save the Children for a lobby of MPs at Westminster about issues affecting the world's poor including tax dodging by multinational companies and climate change. If you're not able to make it up to London, why not email or write to your local MP or meet them in person on 9th.
Global Poverty Project reports how huge progress is being made in stopping children dying from basic illnesses like diarrhoea and pneumonia. The Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunisation – GAVI – needs another £500 million a year over the next five years to save another four million children.
World leaders are gathering in London on June 13 to decide how much money to give GAVI and, as hosts, the UK can give and pressurise other governments to give more. But, as times are tough, we need to show the government that this is an issue that British people care about.
1. Shared Interest Event, Friday 3rd June, 10am-1pm Broadmead Baptist church.
A chance to find out about 100% Fairtrade investment company, and the huge difference micro-finance makes to small businesses in developing countries. A free event with refreshments. Contact rachel.norman a_t shared-interest d_o_t com
to book a place.
2. Green Talk, June 14th, 6.30-8.45pm, Arnolfini, Bristol
GreenTalk is bringing together eleven of the region's and the UK's leading thinkers and doers on climate change, energy security and the natural world to focus on the solutions and responses to these issues
3. Festival of Nature, 18th-19th June, Bristol Harbourside
4, Launch of Bristol as a City of Sanctuary, Wednesday 22nd June 3pm, Council House.
This is a celebration of Bristol's culture of hospitality and an opportunity to show those seeking sanctuary in our city that they are welcome here. A call to action as part of Refugee Week. All welcome. More info and to register interest - http://www.cityofsanctuary.org/bristol/news
Praying and acting on global issues is a wonderful expression of our faith, reflecting our desire to see God's Kingdom brought nearer. If you are interested in praying with other local Christians about these issues, do get in touch and I can link you in with an active group. Joining together, we are a powerful vehicle to bring God's light to some of the darkest places of the earth.