Global Aware Bulletin August 2011
As I write this the rain continues to fall; it seems bitterly ironic that we long for a dry summer whilst huge swathes of Africa are suffering the devastating effects of drought. Whether this is all a result of climate change or just unfortunate, we, as God's people, need to take action to try to restore balance to our world - to share the earth's resources and help those most in need. I hope this Bulletin will give you some ideas and inspiration.
1. Famine and drought in East Africa - please pray for a massive international humanitarian response to prevent hundreds of thousands dying from starvation. Pray too for rain to come. Pray for all those working to provide care for the millions of people struggling to stay alive.
2. Pray for the people of Norway, in shock after the violence at the weekend, particularly those who lost family members. Pray too for the increasing sympathies with extremist actions and the underlying hatred of Muslims which fuelled this attack. Pray that Christians can be a force for good, for tolerance and for community cohesion.
3. Continue to pray for the unrest in Syria, Libya and Yemen, where people are struggling to free themselves from oppressive regimes. Pray that the violence that continues in these countries will cease and peaceful and democratic solutions may be found quickly.
1. If you have not done so, please encourage your church to give a percentage of the weekly collection to the famine in Africa, or set up a special collection. You can donate through
2. Recent events have demonstrated how the current world food system is not working, particularly for the poorest and most vulnerable.
3. Consider taking part in the six week interactive Just People? course - maybe for your church, your home group or youth group. This brilliant resource has been put together by Tear Fund and Liveability, and supported by the Micah Trust, a coalition of Christians and churches in the UK united in their fight against poverty. It will help your church grapple with issues of justice and poverty and what mission really means, with practical applications.
1. For-Ethiopia BBQ, Saturday 6th August 1-6pm
Those of you who came to the Global Aware Conference will remember Tigist Grieve speaking about the work of local charity, For-Ethiopia. Their work on the ground is making a big difference in one of the world's poorest countries. They are currently seeking a new Treasurer and volunteers so please contact Tigist if you can spare any time: email@example.com
They are holding a fundraising Barbeque in Itchington and would love you to come along. See attached invitation or email firstname.lastname@example.org
2. GLOBAL AWARE CONFERENCE 2012!!
Advance notice of the date - Saturday 21st January 2012, including top speakers Roger Forster - author, EA Council Chair and vice President of Tear Fund, and Helen Stawski - Archbishop of Canterbury's International Development advisor.
A free event open to all with workshops, a Churches Together in Bristol Service and free lunch. You can register a place now at
Let us thank God for our world and pray that we will have the vision to make a difference in it.
Yours in Christ